Lived Experience Training (CDRIN)
The Lived Experience Training is an online course (free registration) focusing on mental health research (co-sponsored by Canadian Depression Research & Intervention Network). Designed to prepare lived experience participants to actively participate in a research team and communicate effectively researchers and other health professionals. It leverages the following adult learning principles:
- Participants are completing the training because they see a benefit for themselves.
- Adults learn more by doing than by listening. As such, the program attempts to utilize interactive components where possible.
- Adults want practical information – information that they can see will be of immediate help to them.
- Adults come with a lot of life experience. This is an asset when drawn upon to deepen the learning experience.
- Adult learners appreciate attention to time. This program puts control of the learning schedule firmly in the hands of the adult learner.